May 22, 2009

Time Management

I have to admit, I am not great at time management, especially not when it involves routines and schedules. I get bored. I am a life-long procrastinator and tend to manage my life in sprints and lulls rather than predictable, measured, walks and jogs.

But, it seems this too must change.

There is no procrastination with babies. There is only now. NOW. This moment. There is no promise of another moment, in the future, later...to do this thing, to go that place. Nope. Because that moment, that moment is completely unpredictable. Who knows whether that moment is the one that will hold the toxic diaper blow-out, the projectile spit-up, the unanticipated nap, the unanticipated lack of a nap, the baby who needs to be held, or all of the above.

So, I am trying. I am learning to carpe diem and all that. I am also learning to bring more order to my days and weeks through, (gulp), schedules and routines. And honestly, I like it. I am just not great at it.

All it takes is a week of being awakened every two hours and boom! I find myself disheveled, sitting in my three-days-unshowered filth and feeling like I live in a cave - promising myself I will take a shower....tomorrow. In fact, that is how I spent most of last week. Each day wondering if I was the only one to have sunk to this level so repeatedly, wondering what had happened to the energetic mama I seemed to have been a month before.

But this week I promised myself things would be different. I seized the opportunity to shower in the morning before Mr. Spicy left for work, instead of lying in bed counting how few hours of sleep I managed the night before and hoping Zane would fall back to sleep in a few minutes so I could steal another hour or two. Sure, maybe I still crawled back into bed on occasion, napping a precious hour or two with my deliciously snuggly little babe, but at least I had showered that day! And I began mapping the week. Monday: yoga day, Tuesday: errands, Wednesday: walk to the coffee shop and hang out there, and that's as far as I have gotten. I will make Thu or Fri a zoo day (we just became members and I am SO excited), and we'll probably make the other day some sort of activity as well (maybe a music class, or a playdate, or gardening!). I am trying to find a planned reason to leave the house every single day for just a couple of hours. This way I don't slip too far into cave-land, Zane gets out and gets some stimulation, and we still have plenty of time to hang out at home for a long nap, house cleaning, and just general necessary down-time.

Sounds like I have it figured out, huh? If only it were that easy! The hard part for me is going the distance, sticking to the plan week after week. And yet, with no plan - mayhem ensues. So, I am trying this out. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out.

What about you moms out there? What had to change for you in terms of time management? Did you have to become more organized? Let go of rigid routines? Did you find a routine or schedule that really worked for you and your child?

And you mommies-to-be....what do you anticipate needing to change for you?

1 comment:

annacyclopedia said...

I can totally relate to this, Spicy, and I don't even have my baby yet, other than as a growing lump that is making me fantasize about wearing nothing but yoga pants for the rest of my life. Um, yeah, haven't gotten to the maternity pants buying thing quite yet.

I am also a huge procrastinator and have always struggled with routine, but also know that I could really benefit from more routine in my life. I've achieved it sporadically with help from things like Flylady (flylady.org, I think) and just general pushes to bring some structure and predictability into my life. In general, I don't like being overly scheduled, but having the basics like meal planning and grocery shopping and general house-tidying taken care of help me feel more free as I go about my usual flighty business. And having fun things planned also helps me to make sure I do them!

I hope I can continue to work at finding balance at this once my baby is born, although I know it will be tough. One of the things that has really helped a lot is something I got from Flylady, which is that it doesn't matter if you fall off the routine wagon and you can always just jump right back on. I tend to have a real binge and purge cycle with being organized or having a routine, and once I get out of it I have a lot of guilt and general crappy feeling about not being able to stick with it, and so I just wallow in my chaos instead of just getting on with things. Learning to be gentle with myself around this has helped a lot and helps me to see that even if I'm not doing everything on my list, or I'm doing things imperfectly, it is still worth celebrating and is making my life and my family's life better.

See, I told you it resonated with me!